Fishermen drop plans to leave for Sri Lanka
Madurai: Fishermen of coastal districts, boycotting fishing since July 24 over frequent arrest of their counterparts by Sri Lankan Navy, today dropped their plan to go to Katchatheevu following intervention of Union Minister of State for Heavy Industries, Pon Radhakrishnan.
About 500 fishermen, who had gathered at the coastal area near Verkode St Joseph School, were preparing to leave for Sri Lanka when Radhakrishnan contacted them over phone (with Public Address system), and assured them that steps would be taken to secure release of arrested fishermen and seized boats.
The fishermen planned to leave on boats carrying white flags and surrender to officials in the island nation so that they would at least be able to survive there and earn their livelihood peacefully.
The minister also assured them that the Centre would hold talks with the Sri Lankan government and secure the release of the fishermen.
Speaking to reporters here, S Emiritus, T Sesuraja and Bose, leaders of Fishermen`s Association, said they were dropping their plan following assurance from the minister.
The fishermen, who are on strike for the past 11 days demanding release of the 94 fishermen and 63 boats in the custody of the Island nation, said they would continue their protest till the boats and fishermen were released. They were also protesting the frequent "attacks" by the Lankan Navy and snapping of their fishing nets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31