Fishermen held in Lanka to be released: TN govt
Chennai: The 23 fishermen from Tamil
Nadu, arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on June 20, will be released
in two days, the state government said on Friday.
"The Centre has informed that the Sri Lankan
government had assured that the arrested fishermen will be
released in two days," a state government release said here.
It said that Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had written
to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh requesting his intervention
in securing the release of the fishermen and also instructed
state Chief Secretary Debendranath Sarangi to take follow-up
action with the Centre.
"The chief secretary was in constant touch with
National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon and other Central
officials on the release of the fishermen," it said.
The Lankan Navy had detained the 23 fishermen hailing
from Mandapam and Rameswaram areas after they "inadvertently"
strayed into the island waters.
Fishermen in Rameswaram, who went on an indefinite
strike from June 20 protesting the arrest, withdrew their
agitation yesterday after officials assured them that efforts
were being taken for the safe release of their colleagues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued