Fishermen held in Lanka to be released: TN govt
Chennai: The 23 fishermen from Tamil
Nadu, arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on June 20, will be released
in two days, the state government said on Friday.
"The Centre has informed that the Sri Lankan
government had assured that the arrested fishermen will be
released in two days," a state government release said here.
It said that Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had written
to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh requesting his intervention
in securing the release of the fishermen and also instructed
state Chief Secretary Debendranath Sarangi to take follow-up
action with the Centre.
"The chief secretary was in constant touch with
National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon and other Central
officials on the release of the fishermen," it said.
The Lankan Navy had detained the 23 fishermen hailing
from Mandapam and Rameswaram areas after they "inadvertently"
strayed into the island waters.
Fishermen in Rameswaram, who went on an indefinite
strike from June 20 protesting the arrest, withdrew their
agitation yesterday after officials assured them that efforts
were being taken for the safe release of their colleagues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack