Fishermen held in Lanka to be released: TN govt
Chennai: The 23 fishermen from Tamil
Nadu, arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on June 20, will be released
in two days, the state government said on Friday.
"The Centre has informed that the Sri Lankan
government had assured that the arrested fishermen will be
released in two days," a state government release said here.
It said that Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had written
to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh requesting his intervention
in securing the release of the fishermen and also instructed
state Chief Secretary Debendranath Sarangi to take follow-up
action with the Centre.
"The chief secretary was in constant touch with
National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon and other Central
officials on the release of the fishermen," it said.
The Lankan Navy had detained the 23 fishermen hailing
from Mandapam and Rameswaram areas after they "inadvertently"
strayed into the island waters.
Fishermen in Rameswaram, who went on an indefinite
strike from June 20 protesting the arrest, withdrew their
agitation yesterday after officials assured them that efforts
were being taken for the safe release of their colleagues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC