Fishermen lay siege to colony of KNPP employees
Tirunelveli: Ahead of the proposed commissioning of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant, around 2,000 fishermen onboard 200 boats today laid siege to a housing colony of KNPP employees at Chettikulam as part of the ongoing protest.
The fishermen dropped their plans to block roads following imposition of prohibitory orders and tight security in and around the plant`s vicinity.
S P Udhayakumar, convenor of People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy, spearheading the stir against the plant, said the agitation was not meant to divert the attention of the people, but only for their welfare.
The district administration had imposed regulatory order under CrPC 144 within a seven-km radius of the plant for a 30-day period starting in March. It had deployed police in the region to maintain law and order.
The project, which is expected to be commissioned by this month-end, has missed several deadlines since December last year following protests by locals over safety concerns.
The Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) had given clearance for the second heat up and full system tests of the unit-1 on January 24.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India