Fishermen representatives meet Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Representatives of fishermen from three districts on Monday called on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to discuss issues such as release of their counterparts detained by the Sri Lankan Navy.
A state government release here said representatives from Nagapattinam, Pudukottai and Rameswaram met Jayalalithaa and thanked her for her efforts for the welfare of the community, including ensuring the release of fishermen languishing in Iranian prison and providing them with financial assistance.
Later, the representatives told reporters that they had also taken up the recent arrest of Indian fishermen by the Lankan Navy and sought steps for their release.
She had assured action, they added.
Fishermen in Nagapattinam are on indefinite fast since December 21 demanding release of 210 of their counterparts arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy over the past few months.
Shops in Nagapattinam and Nagore remained closed today in response to a dawn-to-dusk hartal call given by the Chamber of Commerce and Traders Association in solidarity with protesting fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks