Fishermen representatives meet Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Representatives of fishermen from three districts on Monday called on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to discuss issues such as release of their counterparts detained by the Sri Lankan Navy.
A state government release here said representatives from Nagapattinam, Pudukottai and Rameswaram met Jayalalithaa and thanked her for her efforts for the welfare of the community, including ensuring the release of fishermen languishing in Iranian prison and providing them with financial assistance.
Later, the representatives told reporters that they had also taken up the recent arrest of Indian fishermen by the Lankan Navy and sought steps for their release.
She had assured action, they added.
Fishermen in Nagapattinam are on indefinite fast since December 21 demanding release of 210 of their counterparts arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy over the past few months.
Shops in Nagapattinam and Nagore remained closed today in response to a dawn-to-dusk hartal call given by the Chamber of Commerce and Traders Association in solidarity with protesting fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened