Fishermen withdraw indefinite stir
Rameswaram: The fishermen of Rameswaram on Friday withdrew their indefinite strike demanding release of 41 colleagues arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
They were arrested in two batches -- 20 on July 5 and 21 on August 30 -- for allegedly entering Lankan waters.
Their remand had been extended by a court at Mannar in Sri Lanka till September 25.
The fishermen said they had withdrawn the protest as they expected the fishermen to be released on September 25. Besides the festival season was also coming, they said.
Fishermen had launched their protest on September 6 voicing concern over continued incarceration of their colleagues in Lankan jails and demanded immediate steps by the Centre to set them free.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- ISI plotting terror attacks on India in December: Sources