Fishermen withdraw indefinite stir
Rameswaram: The fishermen of Rameswaram on Friday withdrew their indefinite strike demanding release of 41 colleagues arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
They were arrested in two batches -- 20 on July 5 and 21 on August 30 -- for allegedly entering Lankan waters.
Their remand had been extended by a court at Mannar in Sri Lanka till September 25.
The fishermen said they had withdrawn the protest as they expected the fishermen to be released on September 25. Besides the festival season was also coming, they said.
Fishermen had launched their protest on September 6 voicing concern over continued incarceration of their colleagues in Lankan jails and demanded immediate steps by the Centre to set them free.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- ISIS terror module busted in Hyderabad; religious places were main targets, claims NIA
- Fed up of shifting matches, BCCI plans to build own stadium in Delhi: Report
- Modish beauty! Anushka Sharma goes black for 'Sultan' promotions
- EU meets without Britain for first time since Brexit vote
- US, South Korea, Japan hold first anti-North Korea missile drill