Fishermen withdraw indefinite stir
Rameswaram: The fishermen of Rameswaram on Friday withdrew their indefinite strike demanding release of 41 colleagues arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
They were arrested in two batches -- 20 on July 5 and 21 on August 30 -- for allegedly entering Lankan waters.
Their remand had been extended by a court at Mannar in Sri Lanka till September 25.
The fishermen said they had withdrawn the protest as they expected the fishermen to be released on September 25. Besides the festival season was also coming, they said.
Fishermen had launched their protest on September 6 voicing concern over continued incarceration of their colleagues in Lankan jails and demanded immediate steps by the Centre to set them free.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre