Fishermen withdraw indefinite stir
Rameswaram: The fishermen of Rameswaram on Friday withdrew their indefinite strike demanding release of 41 colleagues arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
They were arrested in two batches -- 20 on July 5 and 21 on August 30 -- for allegedly entering Lankan waters.
Their remand had been extended by a court at Mannar in Sri Lanka till September 25.
The fishermen said they had withdrawn the protest as they expected the fishermen to be released on September 25. Besides the festival season was also coming, they said.
Fishermen had launched their protest on September 6 voicing concern over continued incarceration of their colleagues in Lankan jails and demanded immediate steps by the Centre to set them free.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption