Fishermen withdraw indefinite stir
Rameswaram: The fishermen of Rameswaram on Friday withdrew their indefinite strike demanding release of 41 colleagues arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
They were arrested in two batches -- 20 on July 5 and 21 on August 30 -- for allegedly entering Lankan waters.
Their remand had been extended by a court at Mannar in Sri Lanka till September 25.
The fishermen said they had withdrawn the protest as they expected the fishermen to be released on September 25. Besides the festival season was also coming, they said.
Fishermen had launched their protest on September 6 voicing concern over continued incarceration of their colleagues in Lankan jails and demanded immediate steps by the Centre to set them free.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter