Fishermen`s livelihood `uncertain` by Lankan attacks: Vaiko
Nagapattinam: MDMK General Secretary
Vaiko today said repeated attacks on Indian fishermen,
allegedly by the Sri Lankan Navy, has made the livelihood of
over one crore fishermen in Tamil Nadu quite uncertain.
He accused Chief Minister and DMK chief M Karunanidhi of
"not taking steps" to stop the attacks on the fishermen.
He was speaking at a demonstration organised by MDMK
near here to protest the killing of a Vedaranyam fisherman in
mid-sea, allegedly by Lankan navy, on July 7.
He alleged that the Centre was indifferent to the
suffering of the fishermen.
"Mid-sea attacks have become a regular feature, but not
even a single time the Union Government came forward to
condemn the attacks," he said.
He demanded that Centre recognise the probe panel
appointed by the United Nations to probe alleged war crimes by
Sri Lanka during the final phase of the war against the LTTE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?