Fishermen`s livelihood `uncertain` by Lankan attacks: Vaiko
Nagapattinam: MDMK General Secretary
Vaiko today said repeated attacks on Indian fishermen,
allegedly by the Sri Lankan Navy, has made the livelihood of
over one crore fishermen in Tamil Nadu quite uncertain.
He accused Chief Minister and DMK chief M Karunanidhi of
"not taking steps" to stop the attacks on the fishermen.
He was speaking at a demonstration organised by MDMK
near here to protest the killing of a Vedaranyam fisherman in
mid-sea, allegedly by Lankan navy, on July 7.
He alleged that the Centre was indifferent to the
suffering of the fishermen.
"Mid-sea attacks have become a regular feature, but not
even a single time the Union Government came forward to
condemn the attacks," he said.
He demanded that Centre recognise the probe panel
appointed by the United Nations to probe alleged war crimes by
Sri Lanka during the final phase of the war against the LTTE.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference