Five fishermen beaten up by Sri Lankan naval personnel
Rameswaram: Five fishermen from this coastal town were allegedly beaten up by Sri Lankan naval personnel when they crossed the International Maritime Boundary Line and netted fish near Katchativu islet early Thursday morning, officials said.
Quoting fishermen who returned from the area, they said Lankan naval personnel snapped nets, snatched their catch, beat them with pipes and warned them not to venture near Katchathivu, an islet ceded by India to the neighbouring country in the 1970s.
Meanwhile, the Coastal Fishermen`s Association charged traders with forming a cartel and quoting very low price for the catch.
The Association said they were forced to sell the fish at prices quoted by the cartel and that the government was not taking effective steps to break their hold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video