Five fishermen beaten up by Sri Lankan naval personnel
Rameswaram: Five fishermen from this coastal town were allegedly beaten up by Sri Lankan naval personnel when they crossed the International Maritime Boundary Line and netted fish near Katchativu islet early Thursday morning, officials said.
Quoting fishermen who returned from the area, they said Lankan naval personnel snapped nets, snatched their catch, beat them with pipes and warned them not to venture near Katchathivu, an islet ceded by India to the neighbouring country in the 1970s.
Meanwhile, the Coastal Fishermen`s Association charged traders with forming a cartel and quoting very low price for the catch.
The Association said they were forced to sell the fish at prices quoted by the cartel and that the government was not taking effective steps to break their hold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj