Five more witnesses turn hostile in Sankararaman murder case
Puducherry: Five more prosecution witnesses
turned hostile on Tuesday during the trial in the Sankararaman
murder case in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi
and junior acharya Vijayendra Saraswathi are the main accused.
Of the 24 accused, only six were present during the
hearing before the Principal and District Sessions Judge K
Ramalingam and the absentees included the two seers.
Out of the seven witnesses examined, Special Public
Prosecutor N Devadoss declared five of them as hostile when
he found they contradicted the statements they had made
earlier before police in Kancheepuram.
The judge adjourned the hearing to February 7 and stated it
would be held for three days in a row from that date.
Around 30 witnesses would be examined in the next hearing.
Of the 137 witnesses examined since the commencement of the
trial here some two years ago, 72 have turned hostile.
The trial was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu
district court following a Supreme Court`s order in October
2005 on a petition filed by Jayendra Saraswathi.
Sankararaman, manager of the Varadararjaperumal temple in
Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on the premises of the
temple on September 3, 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning