Five policemen suspended for custodial death in TN
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Monday suspended five policemen attached to the Government Railway Police, Villupuram, in connection with the custodial death of an accused on May 7 and announced a cash relief of Rs five lakh to the victim`s family.
The accused R Jeyavelu had suffered a heart attack while in custody and died while being rushed to a hospital, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said while expressing sympathies with the family of the victim.
She said five GRP officials, including an inspector, have been placed under suspension and that a probe was on into the matter.
Due action would be taken at the end of the probe, she said in a statement here, adding that the relief would be paid from the Chief Minister`s General Relief Fund.
- Major blow to Nawaz govt as US asks Pakistan to make ‘full payment’ for F-16 fighter jets
- Death toll from collapsed building in Kenya rises to 22
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today