Five policemen suspended for custodial death in TN
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Monday suspended five policemen attached to the Government Railway Police, Villupuram, in connection with the custodial death of an accused on May 7 and announced a cash relief of Rs five lakh to the victim`s family.
The accused R Jeyavelu had suffered a heart attack while in custody and died while being rushed to a hospital, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said while expressing sympathies with the family of the victim.
She said five GRP officials, including an inspector, have been placed under suspension and that a probe was on into the matter.
Due action would be taken at the end of the probe, she said in a statement here, adding that the relief would be paid from the Chief Minister`s General Relief Fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Over 600 young leaders recruited by Rahul Gandhi but not given any responsibilities yet: Report
- Afghan Taliban sources confirm death of leader in US attack
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests