Flood alert along Amaravathi, Bhavani river course
Coimbatore: With the rural areas in the Tirupur District receiving copious rains for the last few days, the district administration has sounded a flood alert along the banks of Amaravathi dam area in Udumalpet and asked the people to move to safer places.
The alert was issued as the dam was expected surplus in less than 24 hours, official sources said.
Meanwhile, Bhavani river in Coimbatore district, is also in spate, leading to water flowing over a Sirumugai-Kitchathur Bridge near Mettupalayam, causing a crack following which traffic had been stopped through it, they said.
The administration had declared holiday for schools and educational institutions in Valparai in the district, following heavy rains being experienced for the last one week.
Neighbouring Nilgiris District has also been experiencing incessant rains for the last 15 days. Avalanje recorded the highest of 315 MM yesterday, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic