Flood alert along Amaravathi, Bhavani river course
Coimbatore: With the rural areas in the Tirupur District receiving copious rains for the last few days, the district administration has sounded a flood alert along the banks of Amaravathi dam area in Udumalpet and asked the people to move to safer places.
The alert was issued as the dam was expected surplus in less than 24 hours, official sources said.
Meanwhile, Bhavani river in Coimbatore district, is also in spate, leading to water flowing over a Sirumugai-Kitchathur Bridge near Mettupalayam, causing a crack following which traffic had been stopped through it, they said.
The administration had declared holiday for schools and educational institutions in Valparai in the district, following heavy rains being experienced for the last one week.
Neighbouring Nilgiris District has also been experiencing incessant rains for the last 15 days. Avalanje recorded the highest of 315 MM yesterday, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state