Flood alert sounded along Bhavani river in TN
Coimbatore: With the Pilloor dam, near Mettupalayam in the district, likely to reach its full level of 100 feet by tonight, a flood alert has been sounded asking the people in low lying areas on the banks of Bhavani river to move to safer places.
The dam level stood at 88 feet last evening and rose to 95 feet this morning, official sources said.
The dam, situated in Velliyankadu near Karamadai, is meeting the irrigation and drinking water demand of the population of Erode, Tirupur and Coimbatore and catchment areas in Nilgiris District in Tamil Nadu and Kerala are receiving incessant rains for the last few days.
The inflow into the dam was about 10,000 Cft as against the discharge of 6,000 cft, resulting in sudden gush of water in Bhavani river which could be in spate in two days, they said.
Fearing the capacity will brim to full, the district administration has sounded the flood alert by tom tom and asked the people living in low lying areas to move to safer places, as the four sluice gates will be opened any time to facilitate the discharge of surplus rain waters, if the level reached at 98 feet.
The affected villages would be around Nellithurai, Mettupalayam, Odathurai, Sirumugai and Alangonbu, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP