Flood alert sounded as Bhavani river overflows
Coimbatore: A flood alert has been sounded along the banks of Bhavani River in Mettupalayam in the district and people have been asked to move to safer places.
Due to copious rains being experienced in the catchment area, Plloor Dam level is just two feet short of its full capacity of 100 feet and nearly 9,000 cusecs of water being released to maintain the level, considering the safety of the dam, official sources said.
The storage level increased by eight feet on a single day yesterday and over 9,000 cusecs of water was flowing in, leading to the release of similar quantity, by which river was overflowing and requiring to sound flood alert, they said.
The people in the areas have been asked to move to safer places, till the water receded, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’