Flood alert sounded in 8 villages in Tamil Nadu’s Erode
Erode: A flood alert has been sounded in eight villages near Gunderiapallam dam in the district by PWD and revenue Departments as the dam has nearly touched its full level of 42 feet following heavy rains over the past two days.
Residents of Vinobanagar, Kongarpalayam, Kovilure, Kongarpalayam colony and four other hamlets have been asked to leave for safer places, officials said.
The catchment areas near the dam have been experiencing heavy rains over the past few days and saw an eight foot rise in a day.
The dam caters to the irrigational needs of 2500 acres directly and about 10,000 acres indirectly in Vinobhanagar, Kovilure, Kongarpalayam and some other areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more