Flood alert sounded in 8 villages in Tamil Nadu’s Erode
Erode: A flood alert has been sounded in eight villages near Gunderiapallam dam in the district by PWD and revenue Departments as the dam has nearly touched its full level of 42 feet following heavy rains over the past two days.
Residents of Vinobanagar, Kongarpalayam, Kovilure, Kongarpalayam colony and four other hamlets have been asked to leave for safer places, officials said.
The catchment areas near the dam have been experiencing heavy rains over the past few days and saw an eight foot rise in a day.
The dam caters to the irrigational needs of 2500 acres directly and about 10,000 acres indirectly in Vinobhanagar, Kovilure, Kongarpalayam and some other areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble