Flood alert sounded in 8 villages in Tamil Nadu’s Erode
Erode: A flood alert has been sounded in eight villages near Gunderiapallam dam in the district by PWD and revenue Departments as the dam has nearly touched its full level of 42 feet following heavy rains over the past two days.
Residents of Vinobanagar, Kongarpalayam, Kovilure, Kongarpalayam colony and four other hamlets have been asked to leave for safer places, officials said.
The catchment areas near the dam have been experiencing heavy rains over the past few days and saw an eight foot rise in a day.
The dam caters to the irrigational needs of 2500 acres directly and about 10,000 acres indirectly in Vinobhanagar, Kovilure, Kongarpalayam and some other areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...