Flood alert sounded in 8 villages in Tamil Nadu’s Erode
Erode: A flood alert has been sounded in eight villages near Gunderiapallam dam in the district by PWD and revenue Departments as the dam has nearly touched its full level of 42 feet following heavy rains over the past two days.
Residents of Vinobanagar, Kongarpalayam, Kovilure, Kongarpalayam colony and four other hamlets have been asked to leave for safer places, officials said.
The catchment areas near the dam have been experiencing heavy rains over the past few days and saw an eight foot rise in a day.
The dam caters to the irrigational needs of 2500 acres directly and about 10,000 acres indirectly in Vinobhanagar, Kovilure, Kongarpalayam and some other areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?