Flood alert sounded in 8 villages in Tamil Nadu’s Erode
Erode: A flood alert has been sounded in eight villages near Gunderiapallam dam in the district by PWD and revenue Departments as the dam has nearly touched its full level of 42 feet following heavy rains over the past two days.
Residents of Vinobanagar, Kongarpalayam, Kovilure, Kongarpalayam colony and four other hamlets have been asked to leave for safer places, officials said.
The catchment areas near the dam have been experiencing heavy rains over the past few days and saw an eight foot rise in a day.
The dam caters to the irrigational needs of 2500 acres directly and about 10,000 acres indirectly in Vinobhanagar, Kovilure, Kongarpalayam and some other areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death