Forest dept employee, wife shot dead
Madurai: A forest department personnel and his wife were shot dead by an unidentified assailant while they were travelling on a two-wheeler in Kanyakumari district, police said on Friday.
Arumugam (50), working as an assistant in the Tamil Nadu forest department, and his wife Easwari (45) died on the spot after being hit by bullets fired from a close range.
Arumugam sustained four bullet injuries while his wife two. They were shot while passing through the Akkarai-Therur road in Kanyakumari, 242 km from here, last evening.
Police suspect the killings to be the handiwork of a hired killer who could have monitored Arumugam`s movements before striking.
Arumugam was deployed at the Forest check post near Aralvaimozhi, a major smuggling point, police said, adding, the killer or the person who ordered the killing might be known to him.
Passengers of a bus noticed the couple lying in a pool of blood and informed police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez