Former DMK minister arrested in land grabbing case
Tiruchirappalli: Former Transport
Minister and senior DMK leader KN Nehru was arrested here
today in connection with a land grabbing case, police said.
Nehru, known to be a loyalist of DMK Treasurer MK
Stalin, becomes the third minister in the previous DMK regime
to be taken into custody in the continuing crackdown by the
AIADMK government on land grabbing. The other two being
Veerapandi S Arumugam and NKKP Raja.
Nehru was arrested along with party functionary Anbil
Periasamy, Police Commissioner Masanamuthu said.
He said as per a complaint by K.Srinivasan of Turaiyur
near here, Nehru had allegedly taken 13290 sqft of his land at
Chinamani in Tiruchi for construction of DMK party office, by
forcibly obtaining his signature and "misusing" official
His aged father had also been beaten up badly in the
process, Masanamuthu, quoting the complaint, said.
Two other DMK men, including a Textile businessman, were
being questioned in connection with the case.
The complainant said he had not been paid even a paise
after the land was taken over by Nehru.
The commissioner said city Deputy Mayor Anbazhagan,
allegedly involved in the case, was absconding for the past
few days and police were searching for him.
Nehru, who is also party`s district secretary, and
Periyasamy have been detained at the KK Nagar Police Station
for interrogation, he said.
Besides Nehru and Periyasamy, cases have also been filed
against six others including Nehru`s brother Ramajayam and
former MLA Rani. Of the six, one person is already in prison
under the Goondas Act.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?