Former DMK minister arrested in land grabbing case
Tiruchirappalli: Former Transport
Minister and senior DMK leader KN Nehru was arrested here
today in connection with a land grabbing case, police said.
Nehru, known to be a loyalist of DMK Treasurer MK
Stalin, becomes the third minister in the previous DMK regime
to be taken into custody in the continuing crackdown by the
AIADMK government on land grabbing. The other two being
Veerapandi S Arumugam and NKKP Raja.
Nehru was arrested along with party functionary Anbil
Periasamy, Police Commissioner Masanamuthu said.
He said as per a complaint by K.Srinivasan of Turaiyur
near here, Nehru had allegedly taken 13290 sqft of his land at
Chinamani in Tiruchi for construction of DMK party office, by
forcibly obtaining his signature and "misusing" official
His aged father had also been beaten up badly in the
process, Masanamuthu, quoting the complaint, said.
Two other DMK men, including a Textile businessman, were
being questioned in connection with the case.
The complainant said he had not been paid even a paise
after the land was taken over by Nehru.
The commissioner said city Deputy Mayor Anbazhagan,
allegedly involved in the case, was absconding for the past
few days and police were searching for him.
Nehru, who is also party`s district secretary, and
Periyasamy have been detained at the KK Nagar Police Station
for interrogation, he said.
Besides Nehru and Periyasamy, cases have also been filed
against six others including Nehru`s brother Ramajayam and
former MLA Rani. Of the six, one person is already in prison
under the Goondas Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH