Former DMK minister arrested
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Police Saturday arrested former DMK minister K. Ponmudi in a red sand quarrying case.
Ponmudi was the minister for mines and minerals and higher education in the previous DMK government that was voted out last May.
Ponmudi`s arrest in Villupuram, around 150 km from here, comes a day after the Madras High Court dismissed his anticipatory bail plea.
The police have registered a case against Ponmudi on a complaint that his son, Gowtham Sigamani, and other close relatives were involved in quarrying of red sand and not paying any fee to the state.
The alleged loss of revenue for the state is estimated to be around Rs.28 crore.
Ponmudi, a senior DMK leader, was the minister for mines and minerals in 2007 when his son and other relatives were granted the mining licence.
Speaking to reporters during his arrest, Ponmudi said the case against him was a false one and he would face it legally.
In August too, Ponmudi was arrested in a land grab case but was let out on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet