Former DMK minister Arumugam passes away
Chennai: Former DMK minister Veerapandi S Arumugam passed away at a private hospital here on Friday, following respiratory problems, hospital sources said.
Arumugam (75) was admitted to the Sri Ramachandra Medical College hospital here last Saturday for respiratory problems and breathed his last this morning, they said.
The party strongman from Salem had been elected six times to the Tamil Nadu Assembly and held several Ministerial posts during the DMK regime.
A close confidante of party Chief M Karunanidhi, Arumugam had joined DMK in 195. He was Salem district party secretary and also a member of its Executive Committee.
Arumugam, who lost the Assembly polls in 2011 to AIADMK, was recently arrested by the Jayalalithaa government on charges of land grabbing.
Condoling his death, the DMK said the party flag would fly at half mast and that all party functions have been postponed for the next three days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- It's time for Muslims to rise and protest against some Hindutva forces: Azam Khan
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!