Former DMK minister held in land grabbing case
Erode: Former Tamil Nadu Minister and DMK leader NKKP Raja and four others were arrested here Thursday in connection with a land grabbing case.
Raja becomes the second minister of the previous DMK regime to be taken into custody in the continuing crackdown by the AIADMK government on land grabbing, the first being
Veerapandi Arumugam who was arrested on July 30.
Raja, former Handloom Minister, Erode Municipal Corporation Mayor K Kumar Muruges, party`s District Deputy Secretary O.C. Viswanathan, his son Rajendran and one
Subramaniam were arrested by the Special Police for Land Grabbing Cell, at 5 a.m., police said.
They were taken into custody following a complaint from one Ramasamy a few days ago that Raja and 11 others, including Muruges and Viswanathan, had visited his house in
2007 and forcibly obtained his signature to sell 60.5 acres of his land at Thendralnagar in Perundurai for the amount he had borrowed from Subramaniam, police said.
He had complained that no money was paid to him, police said.
Cases have been registered against Raja and 11 others under various IPC sections including 420 (cheating).
Police said Raja was arrested from his house at Kavindapady near here and the other four at their respective houses in Erode and Perundurai. Police are on the lookout for six others.
They were taken to the Erode Land Grabbing police cell located in the district police office, where Raja told police that he was innocent, and wanted them to show him the
complainant but the police said he would appear in court when the trial begins.
"False cases have been foisted against me," Raja said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack