Former DMK minister rearrested
Coimbatore: Former Tamil Nadu Minister and
senior DMK leader Veerapandi S Arumugam was rearrested on Tuesday in connection with a land grabbing case soon after he was
released from jail on bail.
Arumugam, lodged in the Central jail here in connection
with three cases of land grabbing, had been granted bail by
the Madras High Court last week.
Police said he was released around 1.30 PM today as
technical reasons and intervening holidays prevented them from
carrying out the court order earlier.
As Arumugam came out of prison, he was arrested in another
land grabbing case on a complaint by a jeweller and later
taken to Salem to be produced before a court.
The DMK strongman of Salem region had surrendered on July
25 before the District Crime Branch Police following a
directive from the Madras High Court.
He was first arrested on July 30 on a complaint of land
Several DMK leaders including four former ministers have
been arrested in the crackdown launched by the Jayalalithaa
government on land grabbing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam