Former DMK minister rearrested
Coimbatore: Former Tamil Nadu Minister and
senior DMK leader Veerapandi S Arumugam was rearrested on Tuesday in connection with a land grabbing case soon after he was
released from jail on bail.
Arumugam, lodged in the Central jail here in connection
with three cases of land grabbing, had been granted bail by
the Madras High Court last week.
Police said he was released around 1.30 PM today as
technical reasons and intervening holidays prevented them from
carrying out the court order earlier.
As Arumugam came out of prison, he was arrested in another
land grabbing case on a complaint by a jeweller and later
taken to Salem to be produced before a court.
The DMK strongman of Salem region had surrendered on July
25 before the District Crime Branch Police following a
directive from the Madras High Court.
He was first arrested on July 30 on a complaint of land
Several DMK leaders including four former ministers have
been arrested in the crackdown launched by the Jayalalithaa
government on land grabbing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah