Former DMK MLA, 4 party workers file anticipatory bail application
Madurai: Former DMK MLA P Moorthy and four party workers on Monday filed an anticipatory bail application in Madras High Court Bench here in a case relating to alleged abuse of caste name of a person.
The case was filed by police at nearby Melur under SC/ST prevention of Atrocities Act and various sections of the IPC.
The petitioners submitted that the prosecution case was that one Munivel, also a DMK worker, had filed a complaint alleging that they had abused him using his caste name after erasing wall advertisements he had painted to honour former Union Minister M K Alagiri prior to his January 30 birthday.
Pointing out that they are party functionaries, Murthy said he himself was the DMK district secretary and alleged the complaint had been filed to damage his reputation.
The petitioners said they were not in Madurai during the time of the alleged incident and were travelling.
Besides the complaint had been given after an eight-day gap. Munivel had also not stated who were present when they `abused` him, they said, adding the charges were baseless.
They also offered to surrender before the Additional Sessions Judge and requested the High Court to consider their anticipatory bail application.
Justice N Sathyanarayana posted the case for hearing on January 29.
DMK had on January 24 suspended Alagiri from all party posts and primary membership, telling him his opposition to DMK-DMDK alliance was not going be taken lightly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir