Former DMK MLA, 4 party workers file anticipatory bail application
Madurai: Former DMK MLA P Moorthy and four party workers on Monday filed an anticipatory bail application in Madras High Court Bench here in a case relating to alleged abuse of caste name of a person.
The case was filed by police at nearby Melur under SC/ST prevention of Atrocities Act and various sections of the IPC.
The petitioners submitted that the prosecution case was that one Munivel, also a DMK worker, had filed a complaint alleging that they had abused him using his caste name after erasing wall advertisements he had painted to honour former Union Minister M K Alagiri prior to his January 30 birthday.
Pointing out that they are party functionaries, Murthy said he himself was the DMK district secretary and alleged the complaint had been filed to damage his reputation.
The petitioners said they were not in Madurai during the time of the alleged incident and were travelling.
Besides the complaint had been given after an eight-day gap. Munivel had also not stated who were present when they `abused` him, they said, adding the charges were baseless.
They also offered to surrender before the Additional Sessions Judge and requested the High Court to consider their anticipatory bail application.
Justice N Sathyanarayana posted the case for hearing on January 29.
DMK had on January 24 suspended Alagiri from all party posts and primary membership, telling him his opposition to DMK-DMDK alliance was not going be taken lightly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family