Former Naxals arrested in Dharmapuri
Two persons, including a woman, have been arrested near here and pro-Naxal literature seized from them, police said on Saturday.
Police said the two persons were found moving about suspiciously in Kadahathur area on Salem-Hosur road on Friday and when their bags were searched by the Naxal Special Duty wing police, pro-Naxal books and banners of the Centre Committee of Literary Arts Committee (Maoist) and CPI(ML), PWG were found.
The NSD team handed them over to Dharmapuri police.
Investigations revealed that they were former Naxalites, S Duraisingavel (52) of Kundrathur in Chennai and C Bharathi alias Rahini (44) of Annanagar, Kundrathur, police said.
The two were arrested in connection with the militant training camp cases at Uthangarai in Dharmapuri combined district in 2002 and detained under the POTA (Prevention of Terrorism Act, 2002, which was repealed in 2004).
After they secured bail, they had started their propaganda work in rural areas, police said.
A case under various IPC sections including 124 (A) (sedition) besides the Criminal Law Amendment Act has been registered, Inspector S Sampathkumar said.
Both have been remanded to judicial custody for 15 days.
Police are continuing combing operations to nab former Naxals, if any, found roaming in rural areas.
Police are maintaining strict vigil in the wake of the May 25 attack by Maoists in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar that left 27 people, including Congress leaders, dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog