Four agents involved in trafficking of Lankan refugees arrested
Rameswaram (TN): Four persons, including two Sri Lankan nationals, have been arrested for their alleged involvement in illegally sending Sri Lankan Tamil refugees to Australia, police said.
The four were arrested by Q Branch Police in Nagapattinam and produced before a court today which remanded them to judicial custody for 15 days, they said here.
Police said the four persons had made even ferry arrangements to send the refugees, though it was a very risky venture for such a long journey, adding further investigation was on.
Several instances of trafficking of Lankan refugees have been reported in the last two years and many duped by agents had been arrested.
Australia has also warned that those taking such illegal means to enter the country would be deported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick