Four agents involved in trafficking of Lankan refugees arrested
Rameswaram (TN): Four persons, including two Sri Lankan nationals, have been arrested for their alleged involvement in illegally sending Sri Lankan Tamil refugees to Australia, police said.
The four were arrested by Q Branch Police in Nagapattinam and produced before a court today which remanded them to judicial custody for 15 days, they said here.
Police said the four persons had made even ferry arrangements to send the refugees, though it was a very risky venture for such a long journey, adding further investigation was on.
Several instances of trafficking of Lankan refugees have been reported in the last two years and many duped by agents had been arrested.
Australia has also warned that those taking such illegal means to enter the country would be deported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi