Four cops surrender in court in MLA assault case
Madurai: Four police officials, including an SP, have surrendered before a court here and obtained bail in
a case registered against them for allegedly assaulting an AIADMK MLA during byelection to Tamil Nadu Assembly from Tirumangalam constituency in 2009.
Manoharan, then Superintendent of Police of Madurai District, DSP Shajahan, an Inspector and a Sub-Inspector, appeared before Chief Judicial Magistrate Joseph Davin last evening and were released on bail. The CJM posted the case to July 15 for next hearing.
Apprehending arrest in the case filed on a complaint by MLA A Samy, representing Melur, the four had moved the District Sessions Court for anticipatory bail which directed them to appear before the CJM and obtain bail.
During the byelection, a police team led by Manoharn, now SP of Special Task Force, had conducted a search of the MLA`s vehicle and allegedly assaulted him, causing bleeding injuries.
Samy was charged with preventing the officials from performing their duty. Later, he submitted a complaint to the CJM alleging that that he was beaten up by police.
Though the case has been pending in the court, the police officials sought bail recently apprehending arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details