Four cops surrender in court in MLA assault case
Madurai: Four police officials, including an SP, have surrendered before a court here and obtained bail in
a case registered against them for allegedly assaulting an AIADMK MLA during byelection to Tamil Nadu Assembly from Tirumangalam constituency in 2009.
Manoharan, then Superintendent of Police of Madurai District, DSP Shajahan, an Inspector and a Sub-Inspector, appeared before Chief Judicial Magistrate Joseph Davin last evening and were released on bail. The CJM posted the case to July 15 for next hearing.
Apprehending arrest in the case filed on a complaint by MLA A Samy, representing Melur, the four had moved the District Sessions Court for anticipatory bail which directed them to appear before the CJM and obtain bail.
During the byelection, a police team led by Manoharn, now SP of Special Task Force, had conducted a search of the MLA`s vehicle and allegedly assaulted him, causing bleeding injuries.
Samy was charged with preventing the officials from performing their duty. Later, he submitted a complaint to the CJM alleging that that he was beaten up by police.
Though the case has been pending in the court, the police officials sought bail recently apprehending arrest.
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- World's richest temple mulls moving 7.5 tonne gold under monetisation scheme
- Six-year-old falls in borewell in Maharashtra, rescue operation on
- Want FIR against guilty before further probe on Adarsh Society scam: BJP
- Beware, women! Stress can worsen HPV infection
- Derogatory remarks against Prophet: ISIS takes credit for hacking Hindu tailor to death in Bangladesh