‘Four custodial deaths since AIADMK govt took over’
Chennai: A total of four custodial deaths have been reported in Tamil Nadu since the AIADMK government took over, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said here on Thursday.
Making a reply in the Assembly, she also assured of strong
action against policemen accused of being involved in the
incidents, if they were found guilty.
A judicial probe had been ordered and one of the reports
received had not found any wrongdoing on the part of the cops.
"The rest of the reports have not been received so far.
If the probes find policemen guilty, strong action will be
taken against them," she said.
On the issue pertaining to allegations of rape of tribal
women by policemen in Villupuram district, in which connection
a case is pending before Madras High Court, Jayalalitha said
medical tests directed by a magistrate court on the four women
had revealed there were no signs of rape.
"The Magistrate probe is not over. The government has
informed the High Court that it is prepared to hand over the
probe to the Crime Branch-CID if required and further hearing
(on a PIL) has been posted for April 2, 2012," she said.
However, since the women were detained in a police vehicle
at night time, five police personnel, including the inspector
and a special sub-inspector, have been placed under
suspension, she said, adding the women have been provided a
relief of Rs five lakh each from the Chief Minister`s general
A police team from Thirukovilur had visited an Irula
colony on November 22 2011 to enquire about some thefts and
four days later a complaint of rape had been registered, she
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam