Four fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Nagapattinam (TN): Four local fishermen were arrested today by Sri Lankan navy when they were fishing off Kodiakarai coast.
The fishermen - Manivannan, Mahadevan, Vetrivel and Selvaraj of Arucottuthurai fishing hamlet had ventured into the sea for fishing yesterday in a fibreglass boat.
When they were fishing in Indian waters a few knots South East off Kodiakarai this morning, the Sri Lankan navy personnel arrested them on charges of crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line and took them to Sri Lanka, official sources said.
The navy personnel had yesterday arrested 20 fishermen of Rameswaram while fishing near Katchatheevu, an islet in the Palk Straits and allegedly cut the fishing nets of about 50 boats.
On February 1, 19 Indian fishermen were arrested and their five boats seized by the navy when they were allegedly fishing in Lankan waters.
Voicing dismay over continuing arrests of Indian fishermen by Sri Lankan navy, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has told the Centre that such repeated actions undermine all confidence and goodwill which the two countries are attempting to build.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh yesterday, Jayalalithaa said she was at a "loss of words to convey my deep anguish over the repeated apprehension and incarceration" of a large number of fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now