Four Indian fishermen attacked by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram (TN): Four Indian fishermen were on Sunday attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan naval men off Katchatheevu, even as nine others detained by the island Navy arrived at the coastguard camp in Mandapam near here.
Sri Lankan naval personnel allegedly beat the four fishermen with nylon ropes off Katchatheevu, an islet ceded to Lanka in the 1970s, fisheries department officials said.
The four were part of about 3,000 fishermen who had put out to the sea last night in 676 boats from here, the officials said, adding that the Sri Lankan naval personnel allegedly surrounded the boats and threatened them to leave the area at gun point.
They also took away the fish catch from various boats. The fishermen were warned that they would be imprisoned for life if they entered the Sri Lankan territory, officials quoting the fishermen said.
Meanwhile, nine Indian fishermen, set free by a court in Sri Lanka after being detained by the island Navy for "straying" into their waters, arrived at the coastguard camp in Mandapam near here today.
The fishermen, belonging to Akkaraipettai village near Nagapattinam, were handed over to Indian Coast Guard personnel at the international maritime boundary line (IMBL) last evening and brought to Mandapam this morning, officials said.
The fishermen were taken into custody by Sri Lankan naval men on June 19, three days after they had put out to sea. They were produced in a court in Kankesanturai in northern Sri Lanka.
The court had released them with a warning after the fishermen said that they had strayed into Sri Lankan waters due to wind and rough sea.
Talking to reporters on their arrival, fishermen Prabhu, Jayaraman and Prakash said they were given good food and taken care of well while in Sri Lanka.
They thanked Tamil Nadu government for its intervention in taking up their case with the Centre and securing their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog