Four persons perched on tree top rescued
Chennai: Four persons, who had perched themselves atop a tree after falling into a swollen River Cauvery near Hogenakkal, were rescued on Monday by personnel of National Disaster Management Authority and IAF.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, who came to know of the incident, directed that they be rescued immediately with the help of NDMA besides using services of IAF helicopters, an official press release said.
It said Mathappan was washed away in the Cauvery on Sunday but he managed to latch on to a branch of a tree in the middle of the river and climbed it.
Three small boat operators, who tried to save him could not succeed, but they also managed to cling to the same tree on which Mathappan was sitting, it said.
While NDMA personnel arrived there Sunday night, they faced difficulty in rescuing them due to strong currents.
Subsequently, two IAF helicopters from Sulur in Coimbatore were pressed into service and the four persons were rescued and admitted in a government hospital in Pennagaram in Dharmapuri district for treatment, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video