Four persons perched on tree top rescued
Chennai: Four persons, who had perched themselves atop a tree after falling into a swollen River Cauvery near Hogenakkal, were rescued on Monday by personnel of National Disaster Management Authority and IAF.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, who came to know of the incident, directed that they be rescued immediately with the help of NDMA besides using services of IAF helicopters, an official press release said.
It said Mathappan was washed away in the Cauvery on Sunday but he managed to latch on to a branch of a tree in the middle of the river and climbed it.
Three small boat operators, who tried to save him could not succeed, but they also managed to cling to the same tree on which Mathappan was sitting, it said.
While NDMA personnel arrived there Sunday night, they faced difficulty in rescuing them due to strong currents.
Subsequently, two IAF helicopters from Sulur in Coimbatore were pressed into service and the four persons were rescued and admitted in a government hospital in Pennagaram in Dharmapuri district for treatment, it added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark