Four Tamil fishermen attacked by Sri Lankan Navy
Nagapattinam: Four fishermen from the district were allegedly attacked by Sri Lankan Navy personnel with wooden logs while they were fishing off Kodiakarai coast in a mechanised boat, official sources said here Thursday.
The fishermen, who went for fishing yesterday, returned today morning and have been admitted to a government hospital with injuries, they said.
The fishermen, Selvam, Mariappan, Vijayakuamr and Soundirarajan of Vellapallam fishing hamlet were fishing about four nautical miles south-east off Kodiakarai yesterday when the Sri Lankan Navy personnel arrived there in a speed boat and attacked them with wooden logs, besides destroying their catch, they added.
The navy had last week arrested 56 Tamil fishermen on charges of poaching in the Sri Lankan waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MHADA lottery 2016: Now, book your dream home in Mumbai, MHADA online form available here
- 10-wicket haul vs Pakistan or bowling with a broken jaw: Which is your favourite Anil Kumble moment?
- UP Basic Training Certificates: Registration opens for 2-year BTC diploma course for filling assistant teachers' jobs
- Vashu Bhagnani wants Amitabh Bachchan, Govinda to appear in 'Bade Miyan Chote Miyan' remake
- Shah Rukh Khan-Kajol's epic romance continues to rule the Internet! – Here's how