Four Tamil Nadu fishermen set free by Lankan court
Rameswaram: Four fishermen from here, arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on July 9, were on Thursday ordered to be released by a court in the island nation.
The Judicial Magistrate Court in Oorkavalthurai ordered the release of the fishermen, who were detained and remanded to judicial custody for fishing in Sri Lankan waters, Innocent Fishermen`s Welfare Association President U Arulanandham said quoting information received by the association.
However, their boat was not released, he added.
Meanwhile, four other fishermen from Jagadapattinam in Pudukottai district, reported missing, were rescued by Sri Lankan fishermen after their boat developed some snag, police said.
The fisheremen were handed over to Sri lankan naval personnel at Nainar Island near Jaffna, Q Branch Police Inspector Kennedy said.
Fellow fishermen who went in search of the four found only their boat and brought it back, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday