Four Tamil Nadu fishermen set free by Lankan court
Rameswaram: Four fishermen from here, arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on July 9, were on Thursday ordered to be released by a court in the island nation.
The Judicial Magistrate Court in Oorkavalthurai ordered the release of the fishermen, who were detained and remanded to judicial custody for fishing in Sri Lankan waters, Innocent Fishermen`s Welfare Association President U Arulanandham said quoting information received by the association.
However, their boat was not released, he added.
Meanwhile, four other fishermen from Jagadapattinam in Pudukottai district, reported missing, were rescued by Sri Lankan fishermen after their boat developed some snag, police said.
The fisheremen were handed over to Sri lankan naval personnel at Nainar Island near Jaffna, Q Branch Police Inspector Kennedy said.
Fellow fishermen who went in search of the four found only their boat and brought it back, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL