Foxconn India plant shut down following toxic gas leak
Chennai: Mobile phone accessory maker Foxconn India`s plant at Sunguvarchatram, around 45 km from here, has been shut down following a gas leak late Friday.
The Tamil Nadu government has ordered the closure of the plant till all safety aspects are checked and cleared by authorities concerned.
The decision came after 37 workers were admitted to Sri Ramachandra Medical Centre here after they fell ill inhaling an unknown toxic gas late Friday.
Foxconn India, part of USD 1.74 billion the Taiwan-based Foxconn Technology Group, is the third largest industrial employer in Tamil Nadu with around 7,000 workers, after Hyundai Motor India and Nokia India.
The company`s Sunguvarchatram plant, employing about 500 workers, was reopened on Friday after nearly nine months on the back of increased orders for mobile accessories.
"Around 2 pm Friday after the lunch time six female workers fainted and were hospitalised in Sriperumbudur. Subsequently the second shift was cancelled," said CVMP Ezhilarasan, president, Foxconn India Thozilalar Munnetra Sangam, affiliated to ruling DMK party`s labour wing, Labour Progressive Front.
According to him, around 15 minutes into the third/night shift some workers fainted and the remaining workers came out of the factory.
As the hospital at Sriperumbudur did not have sufficient facilities, around 235 workers were taken to Sri Ramachandra Medical Centre with the help of police and workers at Foxconn India`s main plant at Sriperumbudur.
While officials of Foxconn India were not available for comments, Ezhilarasan said the management is putting the blame on pest fumigation activities undertaken prior to the opening the plant for workers falling ill.
"The pesticide has been sprayed in the air condition ducts which in turn affected the workers is what the management told us," Ezhilarasan said.
"We have asked the company to have the Sunguvarchatram plant inspected by experts and pollution control board officials first and start production only after the green signal from them," he added.
A senior Foxconn India official, not wanting to be identified, said that the Sunguvarchatram plant does not have any gas tanks.
He said workers at the plant will be shifted to the company`s main plant at Sriperumbudur from Monday.
According to Ezhilarasan, the plant uses isoprophyl alcohol, a colourless flammable chemical with strong odour, as a cleaning agent in all the sections.
The symptoms of isoprophyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, nausea and vomitting.
Ezhilarasan, however, could not say isoprophyl poisoning was the reason behind workers falling sick.
Foxconn India`s main plant located at the special economic zone (SEZ) in Sriperumbudur has been operating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!