French national of SL origin arrested under passport act
Rameswaram (TN): A French national of Sri Lankan origin was arrested under the passport act at Arichal Munai at nearby Dhanuskodi on Tuesday, police said.
They said, Francis Anthoni (45), hailing from Chidambaranathapuram in Vavuniya distict in Sri Lanka left for France in 2004 and later became a French citizen. He had come to India recently en route to Sri Lanka to meet his relatives there.
He tried to leave for Sri Lanka by an illegal ferry and had paid Rs 40,000 to one Shanmugam of Mandapam refugee camp. Shanmugam, in turn, had taken him to another person, S Muthukumar of Cherankottai, near here, police said.
Later, the duo, took Francis in a country boat from Cherankottai and dropped him at Arichal Munai around mid-night last night informing him that Arichal Munai was part of Sri Lanka and he could go from there, police said.
Dhanuskodi police, who were patrolling the area, took Francis into custody and then arrested him for violating the passport act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1