Fuel loading in KNPP likely next week
Chennai: A day after the Madras High Court cleared decks for the commissioning of unit-1 of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, a senior official at the plant on Saturday said they would commence loading real fuel in the Indo-Russian venture by the end of next week.
"We are presently doing the preparatory work. A team from the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board is expected next week. They will inspect the site and only after their visit we will load the real fuel. So, we hope to load the fuel by next week end," KNPP Site Director RS Sundar told PTI.
Commissioning of VVER-type reactor, capable of producing 1,000 MW of power, was stalled after locals and activists of an anti-nuclear forum protested against the project citing safety concerns since August 2011.
The over Rs 14,000 crore project has already missed many deadlines including the latest of August this year.
Their tussle with the government and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd was not only on the streets of Kudankulam but entered legal channels in the form of petitions in the Madras High Court.
Their legal tussle took a dramatic turn yesterday as the Madras High Court`s verdict was against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Hallmark, ISI Mark, BEE Label –Know which certification marks are important for products you buy
- Sonam Kapoor in awe of Anamika Khanna, stuns in beige drape- Pic you cannot miss!
- WATCH: INCREDIBLE! When The Great Khali crushed two opponents in under a minute!
- Microsoft improves OneDrive photos, adds 'Pokemon Go' detector
- Munich attack: Facebook activates safety check tool