Fuel loading in KNPP likely next week
Chennai: A day after the Madras High Court cleared decks for the commissioning of unit-1 of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, a senior official at the plant on Saturday said they would commence loading real fuel in the Indo-Russian venture by the end of next week.
"We are presently doing the preparatory work. A team from the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board is expected next week. They will inspect the site and only after their visit we will load the real fuel. So, we hope to load the fuel by next week end," KNPP Site Director RS Sundar told PTI.
Commissioning of VVER-type reactor, capable of producing 1,000 MW of power, was stalled after locals and activists of an anti-nuclear forum protested against the project citing safety concerns since August 2011.
The over Rs 14,000 crore project has already missed many deadlines including the latest of August this year.
Their tussle with the government and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd was not only on the streets of Kudankulam but entered legal channels in the form of petitions in the Madras High Court.
Their legal tussle took a dramatic turn yesterday as the Madras High Court`s verdict was against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!