Fuel price hike: Jaya demands change of pricing policy
Chennai: Slamming the hike in fuel prices, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday said the move amounted to betraying the middle and lower classes and made a fresh demand for changing the fuel pricing policy.
"Even before the ink had dried up after signing the hike in prices of diesel recently, the Centre is increasing the price of petrol by Rs 1.50 and diesel by 45 paise...It amounts to betraying the poor and middle classes. I strongly condemn this anti-people action of the Central government," she said in a statement.
She said the present pricing policy and deregulation had resulted in fuel prices going upwards.
Jayalalithaa said the prices would remain under control if they were based on rates of domestic crude and the cost of its refining, that of imported oil and its refining besides the value of a stable foreign exchange, she said.
Instead, diesel rates were determined on the basis of Trade Parity price due to which "oil companies are making huge benefits. These profits are swindled from people and such wrong pricing policies result in price-rise," she said.
Jayalalithaa had last week demanded that the existing pricing policy be changed.
Monthly review of diesel prices was a "venom being thrust on people in instalments," as hike in fuel prices will result in increase in prices of essential commodities, she said.
At one side there were scams in Telecom (2G), Defence (chopper deal) and Sports (CWG), and on the other side Centre was effecting such moves, she said.
Jayalalithaa demanded that Centre withdraw its order allowing oil companies to fix prices and also rollback the latest hike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'