Funds not released for Chennai Metro this year: Govt
New Delhi: Funds have not been released this
year for the Mass Rapid Transit System being built in Chennai
by Chennai Metro Rail Ltd as the state government has not
signed the MoU, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Thursday.
Replying to supplementaries in Question Hour, Minister of
State for Urban Development Saugata Roy said Chennai Metro is
a special purpose vehicle which is funded by Tamil Nadu
government and the Government of India.
The Union government has allocated Rs 652 crore for
Chennai Metro in 2010-11 but no funds have been released as
the MoU has not been signed, he said.
"The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Tamil Nadu
government, the Government of India and Chennai Metro has not
yet been signed," he said.
"We urge the Tamil Nadu government to sign the MoU so that
the Government of India can release funds," he said.
The Union government, he said was committed to paying 20
per cent of the project cost.
During past three years, the Centre has given Rs 152.79
crore to the project while the state government has
contributed Rs 1,050 crore. This year, the state government is
to provide Rs 600 crore.
"The total funds utilized so far for this project is Rs
306.24 crore as on July 31, 2010," he said adding the project
is scheduled for completion by 2015.
"In the initial phase, state government pays more money
because land acquisition has to be done which is the job of
the state government," he said.
N Balaganga (AIADMK) demanded action against contractor
Matyas Infra, a unit of IT firm Satyam, which was responsible
for delay in certain sections of the project.
To this, Roy said the question needs to be put to the
Railway Ministry which is responsible for the Chennai Mass
Rapid Transit System. Matyas Infra was working on Chennai Mass
Rapid Transit System, which is different from Chennai Metro
The reply did not satisfy AIADMK members who wanted Roy
to spell out what action was taken against Matyas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen