Ganesh idols immersion passes off peacefully in Chennai
Chennai: The final phase of immersion of
idols of Lord Ganesh here passed off peacefully today,
bringing down the curtains on the Vinayakar Chaturthi
festival, police said.
Vinayakar Chaturthi was celebrated on September 11. The
immersion of idols traditionally takes place on the third and
seventh day of the festival. The first phase of the immersion
of idols was held yesterday.
Amid tight security, around 800 idols were brought in a
procession with devotees bursting crackers and immersed in the
Bay of Bengal at five designated points here.
Police maintained a strict vigil since early morning to
ensure a peaceful immersion. Surveillance cameras were set up
at important places to watch the procession, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state