Ganesh idols immersion passes off peacefully in Chennai
Chennai: The final phase of immersion of
idols of Lord Ganesh here passed off peacefully today,
bringing down the curtains on the Vinayakar Chaturthi
festival, police said.
Vinayakar Chaturthi was celebrated on September 11. The
immersion of idols traditionally takes place on the third and
seventh day of the festival. The first phase of the immersion
of idols was held yesterday.
Amid tight security, around 800 idols were brought in a
procession with devotees bursting crackers and immersed in the
Bay of Bengal at five designated points here.
Police maintained a strict vigil since early morning to
ensure a peaceful immersion. Surveillance cameras were set up
at important places to watch the procession, they said.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures
- Sourav Ganguly bats for Salman Khan, says actor will bring in visibility to Rio Olympics as Indian contingent's Goodwill Ambassador
- Economy may expand by 7.8% in 2017-18: UN report