Ganesh idols immersion passes off peacefully in Chennai
Chennai: The final phase of immersion of
idols of Lord Ganesh here passed off peacefully today,
bringing down the curtains on the Vinayakar Chaturthi
festival, police said.
Vinayakar Chaturthi was celebrated on September 11. The
immersion of idols traditionally takes place on the third and
seventh day of the festival. The first phase of the immersion
of idols was held yesterday.
Amid tight security, around 800 idols were brought in a
procession with devotees bursting crackers and immersed in the
Bay of Bengal at five designated points here.
Police maintained a strict vigil since early morning to
ensure a peaceful immersion. Surveillance cameras were set up
at important places to watch the procession, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened