Get proof from royal family on Katchatheevu: Karuna to TN govt
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi on Wednesday asked Tamil Nadu government to obtain documents offered to be provided by members of a royal family in connection with the Katchatheevu issue and submit them along with others in the Supreme Court in support of its plea for retrieval of the islet ceded to Sri Lanka.
The kin of Ramanatha Sethupathy, a former king of Ramanathapuram, had reportedly said there were documents to show that the islet came under their father`s erstwhile administration and that they were ready to give the documents in this regard to the Chief Minister, Karunanidhi said.
"They have also assured all support to state government for the retrieval of Katchatheevu... Therefore, I insist that state government gather the (documentary) proof mentioned by the Ramanathapuram royal family and those in its possession and come forward to present them in Supreme Court," he said responding to a set of questions in party mouth-piece `Murasoli.`
Tamil Nadu Government has filed a petition in the apex court seeking retrieval of Katchatheevu, an islet in the Palk Strait, which was ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974 by way of an agreement.
Karunanidhi has also moved the Supreme Court on the matter.
The Centre had recently submitted in the court that no Indian territory, including Katchatheevu, was ceded to Sri Lanka, and the question of retrieval did not arise.
Karunanidhi also lauded BJP MP Tarun Vijay who had recently demanded in Rajya Sabha that Tamil be made the second official language of the country, and recalled that DMK had made a similar pitch in its 2011 election manifesto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees