Girl dies after rescue from open borewell in TN
Chennai: A six-year-old girl died of multiple organ failure, a few hours after she was rescued from a 200 feet-deep borewell in Tamil Nadu`s Thiruvanamalai district, said officials.
According to doctors at the Vellore government hospital, Devi did not respond to the treatment given as several of her organs had failed during her 10-hour-ordeal
A resident of Pulavanpadi village, the young girl fell into the bore well, which was not properly covered up, in a farm owned by Shankar, around 8 a.m. this morning while out with her mother.
Her mother raised the alarm and an ambulance and fire tender rushed to the spot and oxygen was supplied into the well.
Rescue efforts began with the digging of a pit to reach the girl. As the ground, was rocky the digging process took time.
Around 6 p.m., the girl was extricated and after first aid, was rushed to the hospital in the ambulance with the people assembled there heaving a sigh of relief.
But the relief was short-lived as Devi did not respond to the treatment given by the doctors and breathed her last around 7 p.m.
According to police, Shankar has been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers