Girl married to Dalit boy refuses to go back to husband in TN
Chennai: The girl, whose marriage to a Dalit boy triggered anti-Dalit violence in three villages of Dharmapuri district in November last, today said she would never go back to her husband.
Speaking to reporters outside the High Court, Divya said she has been under tremendous pressure all these days.
She said she is unable to forget her father who committed suicide after her marriage and now she does not want to live with her husband, but wants to stay with her mother.
The matter pertains to a Habeas Corpus Petition filed by the mother of Divya to produce her before the Court and set her at Liberty.
On July 1, she had told Madras High Court that she would go with her mother "for the time being". She had also said she had no problems in the house of her husband or with her mother-in-law, but was being haunted by incidents of her father`s death who committed suicide after her marriage with Ilavarasan of Natham village.
Divya`s mother too had opposed the inter-caste marriage which was held on October 14.
Three villages of Dharmapuri district-- Natham, Kondamapatty and Annanagar-- witnessed violence and about 296 huts belonging to Dalits were torched on November 7 after the girl`s father committed suicide.
Several writ petitions were filed and the Court has ordered a probe into the rehabilitation measures taken in Dalit colonies under the committee headed by IAS officer Vaski which submitted a 5000-page report to the High Court.
Earlier, when the petition came up for hearing, the bench comprising Justices M Jayachandran and M Sunderesh reserved the orders for Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!