Girl married to Dalit boy refuses to go back to husband in TN
Chennai: The girl, whose marriage to a Dalit boy triggered anti-Dalit violence in three villages of Dharmapuri district in November last, today said she would never go back to her husband.
Speaking to reporters outside the High Court, Divya said she has been under tremendous pressure all these days.
She said she is unable to forget her father who committed suicide after her marriage and now she does not want to live with her husband, but wants to stay with her mother.
The matter pertains to a Habeas Corpus Petition filed by the mother of Divya to produce her before the Court and set her at Liberty.
On July 1, she had told Madras High Court that she would go with her mother "for the time being". She had also said she had no problems in the house of her husband or with her mother-in-law, but was being haunted by incidents of her father`s death who committed suicide after her marriage with Ilavarasan of Natham village.
Divya`s mother too had opposed the inter-caste marriage which was held on October 14.
Three villages of Dharmapuri district-- Natham, Kondamapatty and Annanagar-- witnessed violence and about 296 huts belonging to Dalits were torched on November 7 after the girl`s father committed suicide.
Several writ petitions were filed and the Court has ordered a probe into the rehabilitation measures taken in Dalit colonies under the committee headed by IAS officer Vaski which submitted a 5000-page report to the High Court.
Earlier, when the petition came up for hearing, the bench comprising Justices M Jayachandran and M Sunderesh reserved the orders for Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell