Girl pulled out from borewell after 14 hours; declared dead
Karur: A seven-year old girl who fell into a newly dug deep borewell in a farm land in the district, was Saturday night pulled out after over 14-hour long intense rescue efforts but doctors declared her dead at a hospital.
Muthulakshmi, who fell into the improperly closed 900-feet borewell at Suryapalli village at around 7 am, remained stuck within a depth of about 18 feet and was pulled out by rescuers around 11 pm in an unconscious state, police said.
Daughter of farm labourers, the girl was immediately rushed to the Karur Government Hospital, about 50 km from the mishap spot, where doctors attempted in vain to revive her by administering oxygen, police said.
Doctors later declared her dead, as the efforts ended on a tragic note.
The girl had fallen into the borewell, which was closed in a crude method after it failed to yield water. It was to be properly sealed today.
The rescue operations by Fire and Rescue Service personnel and others which began at about 8 am using three earth moving equipment suffered delay due to rocky terrain.
A pit was dug adjacent to the borewell to reach the girl, stuck at a depth of about 18 feet where the diametre was around 12 inches.
The girl was administered oxygen during the rescue operations and her murmurs were heard till 5 pm after which she fell silent.
District Collector S Jayandhi and other top police and district officials oversaw the operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand