GK Vasan hits out at Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Criticising Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for her statement belittling national parties, Union Shipping Minister GK Vasan on Saturday said that the Congress does not believe in "provocative politics".
"It is for the people of Tamil Nadu to decide, which party should come to power. That was why Congress was in power in Tamil Nadu continuously for 20 years", Vasan, also a former TNCC president said, adding that it was the Congress, which laid the foundation for the state`s growth over four decades ago.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had yesterday said that both the Congress and the BJP could not even dream of forming a government in Tamil Nadu even if they bent backwards.
"Every party has a goal. Same way that Congress in Tamil Nadu also has a goal, which is to become the state`s No 1 party. We are working toward that goal. I am sure we will achieve it with the support of the people," Vasan said.
Observing that the Congress was "not in a hurry" or believed in pursuing "provocative politics", he reminded the AIADMK leadership that it had allied with the Congress and the combine had emerged victorious.
Responding to Jayalalithaa`s charge that the national parties had betrayed Tamil Nadu on the Cauvery water issue, he said that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had ordered Karnataka Chief Minister to release water to the state in her presence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes