GK Vasan hits out at Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Criticising Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for her statement belittling national parties, Union Shipping Minister GK Vasan on Saturday said that the Congress does not believe in "provocative politics".
"It is for the people of Tamil Nadu to decide, which party should come to power. That was why Congress was in power in Tamil Nadu continuously for 20 years", Vasan, also a former TNCC president said, adding that it was the Congress, which laid the foundation for the state`s growth over four decades ago.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had yesterday said that both the Congress and the BJP could not even dream of forming a government in Tamil Nadu even if they bent backwards.
"Every party has a goal. Same way that Congress in Tamil Nadu also has a goal, which is to become the state`s No 1 party. We are working toward that goal. I am sure we will achieve it with the support of the people," Vasan said.
Observing that the Congress was "not in a hurry" or believed in pursuing "provocative politics", he reminded the AIADMK leadership that it had allied with the Congress and the combine had emerged victorious.
Responding to Jayalalithaa`s charge that the national parties had betrayed Tamil Nadu on the Cauvery water issue, he said that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had ordered Karnataka Chief Minister to release water to the state in her presence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference