Global Tamil essay competition to be launched online
Chennai: A global Tamil essay competition to
take the langauge to the top of Wikipedia`s information portal
and also popularise the language would soon be launched online
by the government, state IT Minister Poongothai said today.
"College students having knowledge of Tamil across the
globe studying in 13 disciplines, including engineering, arts,
agriculture, medical, dental, nursing, veterinary among others
can participate through a website, where they can register
their contents online", she told reporters here.
The minister said Tamil language currently stands at third
spot after Hindi and Telegu among Indian languages in terms of
contents registered in Wikipedia portal. "This competition
will make Tamil language attain the top spot," she said.
She said a 30 member jury from Wikipedia would evaluate the
essays which would be between 250 and 500 words and paste the
contents on the website.
"Rewards would be given to the best essay", she said,
adding the last date for registration would be April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what