Global Tamil essay competition to be launched online
Chennai: A global Tamil essay competition to
take the langauge to the top of Wikipedia`s information portal
and also popularise the language would soon be launched online
by the government, state IT Minister Poongothai said today.
"College students having knowledge of Tamil across the
globe studying in 13 disciplines, including engineering, arts,
agriculture, medical, dental, nursing, veterinary among others
can participate through a website, where they can register
their contents online", she told reporters here.
The minister said Tamil language currently stands at third
spot after Hindi and Telegu among Indian languages in terms of
contents registered in Wikipedia portal. "This competition
will make Tamil language attain the top spot," she said.
She said a 30 member jury from Wikipedia would evaluate the
essays which would be between 250 and 500 words and paste the
contents on the website.
"Rewards would be given to the best essay", she said,
adding the last date for registration would be April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire