Good response to Karaikal bandh: Over 900 arrested
Karaikal: The bandh call given by a consortium
of construction associations in Karaikal for today in protest
against the Tamil Nadu government`s ban on inter-state transit
of sand evoked good response in the district.
The Tamil Nadu government had imposed the ban a few months
The associations contended that construction work has been
badly hit as Karaikal district (an enclave of Puducherry) does
not have adequate water resources suitable for sand mining.
Truck owners had launched an indefinite strike last month,
urging the Puducherry government to take steps to get the ban
lifted. Builders Association staged demonstrations, while
construction labourers association went on a hunger strike.
Reports from Karaikal said that except for government
offices and educational institutions, all other offices and
shops remained closed. Private buses and autorickshaws were
off the road. However, Government buses plied as usual.
Over 900 persons were arrested at various places in the
district for attempting to block vehicular traffic, police said.
Meanwhile, Puducherry Chief Minister V Vaithilingam who
visited Karaikal yesterday told reporters that the government
was in touch with Tamil Nadu on the sand transportation
issue and hoped the matter would be resolved soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister