Good response to Karaikal bandh: Over 900 arrested
Karaikal: The bandh call given by a consortium
of construction associations in Karaikal for today in protest
against the Tamil Nadu government`s ban on inter-state transit
of sand evoked good response in the district.
The Tamil Nadu government had imposed the ban a few months
The associations contended that construction work has been
badly hit as Karaikal district (an enclave of Puducherry) does
not have adequate water resources suitable for sand mining.
Truck owners had launched an indefinite strike last month,
urging the Puducherry government to take steps to get the ban
lifted. Builders Association staged demonstrations, while
construction labourers association went on a hunger strike.
Reports from Karaikal said that except for government
offices and educational institutions, all other offices and
shops remained closed. Private buses and autorickshaws were
off the road. However, Government buses plied as usual.
Over 900 persons were arrested at various places in the
district for attempting to block vehicular traffic, police said.
Meanwhile, Puducherry Chief Minister V Vaithilingam who
visited Karaikal yesterday told reporters that the government
was in touch with Tamil Nadu on the sand transportation
issue and hoped the matter would be resolved soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill