Govt install statue of Tamil Thai at Madurai
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government today proposed to install a statue of "Tamil Thaai" (Tamil Mother) at an estimated Rs 100 crore at Madurai as part of efforts to promote the Tamil language.
The statue will be on the lines of Statue of Liberty in USA and will highlight the culture, heritage, literature and construction talent of Tamils, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said in a statement in the Assembly.
An award will be named after GU Pope, who first translated Thirukkural, the cornerstone of Tamil literature, into English.
The award will be given to a translator of a Tamil literary work to English and will carry Rs one lakh, a gold medal and a citation, Jayalalithaa said, adding, the award will be given on the Tamil New Year Day.
She also announced that the birthday of first women freedom fighter of the country and the Queen of Sivaganga, Velu Nachiyar, will be celebrated by the government.
In a seperate statement, Jayalalithaa announced a slew of sops for temples including expanding the government`s massfeeding programme to 100 temples at a cost of Rs 2.37 crore.
The scheme was being implemented in Sri Rangam and Palani temples presently, she said.
Further, consecration of 1006 temples will be held this year, she said while allocating Rs 22.50 crore towards renovation of 49 ancient temples.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown