Govt install statue of Tamil Thai at Madurai
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government today proposed to install a statue of "Tamil Thaai" (Tamil Mother) at an estimated Rs 100 crore at Madurai as part of efforts to promote the Tamil language.
The statue will be on the lines of Statue of Liberty in USA and will highlight the culture, heritage, literature and construction talent of Tamils, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said in a statement in the Assembly.
An award will be named after GU Pope, who first translated Thirukkural, the cornerstone of Tamil literature, into English.
The award will be given to a translator of a Tamil literary work to English and will carry Rs one lakh, a gold medal and a citation, Jayalalithaa said, adding, the award will be given on the Tamil New Year Day.
She also announced that the birthday of first women freedom fighter of the country and the Queen of Sivaganga, Velu Nachiyar, will be celebrated by the government.
In a seperate statement, Jayalalithaa announced a slew of sops for temples including expanding the government`s massfeeding programme to 100 temples at a cost of Rs 2.37 crore.
The scheme was being implemented in Sri Rangam and Palani temples presently, she said.
Further, consecration of 1006 temples will be held this year, she said while allocating Rs 22.50 crore towards renovation of 49 ancient temples.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram