Govt sops given to uplift the poor: Jayalalithaa
Tiruvallur: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
J Jayalalithaa on Thursday insisted that the sops given away at no
cost by her government were aimed at uplifting the poor and
the oppressed, but that some persons were trying to malign the
effort as freebies.
In her address here at the launch of the special
initiatives of her government such as providing laptops to
students, and cows and goats, all at no cost, she said
that these were intended at uplifting the respective
beneficiaries, most of them "poorest of the poor".
"Milch cows scheme, for instance, envisages benefiting
60,000 persons in five years. Jersey cross-breed cows are
provided to beneficiaries which will yield good quantity of
milk. This will help in milk production going up in the state
(over the years) resulting in (another) white revolution," she
said at the function coinciding with the birth anniversary of
Dravidian icon, the late CN Annadurai.
The goats scheme, for which the beneficiaries were being
selected from the "poorest of the poor," will help such
persons "stand on their own feet," in the next two years,
ensuring their "economic independence," she said.
For both the aforesaid schemes, 30 percent of the scheme
was reserved for Adi Dravidars and Scheduled Tribes, she said
adding this was an effort to uplift the said communities.
Not realising the welfare motives behind such efforts, some
persons were maligning them, and had even moved the Supreme
Court against them, she said adding those who had knowledge of
economics would not accept that these schemes aimed at making
people self-dependent are `freebies`.
Taking a dig at her archrival and DMK chief M Karunanidhi,
she said he was issuing statements criticising her.
"He had (as Chief Minister) said that freebies will exist
till the poor exist, which is an insult to the people,"
Jayalalithaa said adding he was only concerned about their
votes but not their welfare.
While the laptop schemes and aid for school students were
aimed as part of the State`s human resource development, the
free mixer-grinder and fan scheme would help homemakers lessen
their burden of domestic chores, she said.
Later, Jayalalithaa, who described herself as a "loving
sister" of the people of the State, officially launched the
respective schemes worth over Rs 2,300 crore, keeping up her
poll promise in this regard.
The Chief Minister had in her Independence Day address,
said it was the "duty of the Welfare State," to safeguard the
interests of the poor by distributing goods free of cost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks