Grabbed land worth Rs 1,156 cr restored in TN sinc
Chennai: Acting tough on land grab complaints, police have retrieved land worth Rs 1,156 crore with 32 accused being detained under the stringent Goondas Act, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said Tuesday.
Replying to the debate in the state Assembly on grants for Home, Prohibition and Excise Department held by her, she said 1,178 cases had been filed and 2,034 people arrested since her government came to power in May 2011.
"So far, 3,070 acres of land and 14,77,424 sq ft of housing plots (which were grabbed) worth Rs 1,156 crore have been retrieved and returned to the rightful owners," she said.
Her government was acting tough on such complaints, in which connection a series of DMK leaders including former ministers were facing cases, she said, adding that some AIADMK members alleged to have been involved in similar complaints had also been arrested.
This showed her government`s resolve to act on this issue, she said referring to the recent arrest of DMDK MLA Arun Subramaniam (Tiruthani) on similar charges.
Detailing on the state law and order situation, the Chief Minister ruled out any communal flare-up in Coimbatore belt while responding to M Arumugam (CPI) who made some remarks in this context.
The Coimbatore district administration with the help of police was taking action on "small differences" between two communities and frequent meetings were being held between the two to ensure social and communal harmony in view of simmering tension, she said.
She warned of stringent action against those who incite communal feelings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter