Granite scam: Nine arrested in Tamil Nadu
Madurai: In a fresh case against PRP Granites, facing criminal proceedings in a multi-crore granite quarry scam, nine people were arrested on Thursday night, police said.
Among those arrested included the firm`s director Suresh Kumar, son of the firm`s owner Palaniswamy, and general manager Arumugam.
They were arrested on charges of illegally mining granites from 3.5 acre of land in CC Kanmoi in the district and destroying the evidence by closing the deep gorges formed during the mining, after the scandal was exposed, police said.
They had also illegally mined granite slabs worth several lakhs of rupees from 19 cents of land in Malapatti village without approval.
On a complaint from the local village administrative officer Akbar Sait, police arrested the nine people.
The government cracked down on the firms after former Madurai collector U Sahayam in a report last year estimated losses incurred from illegal granite mining at around Rs 16,000 crore.
It had last month informed the High Court that it had proposed to constitute a special court to inquire cases relating to the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users