Granite scam: Nine arrested in Tamil Nadu
Madurai: In a fresh case against PRP Granites, facing criminal proceedings in a multi-crore granite quarry scam, nine people were arrested on Thursday night, police said.
Among those arrested included the firm`s director Suresh Kumar, son of the firm`s owner Palaniswamy, and general manager Arumugam.
They were arrested on charges of illegally mining granites from 3.5 acre of land in CC Kanmoi in the district and destroying the evidence by closing the deep gorges formed during the mining, after the scandal was exposed, police said.
They had also illegally mined granite slabs worth several lakhs of rupees from 19 cents of land in Malapatti village without approval.
On a complaint from the local village administrative officer Akbar Sait, police arrested the nine people.
The government cracked down on the firms after former Madurai collector U Sahayam in a report last year estimated losses incurred from illegal granite mining at around Rs 16,000 crore.
It had last month informed the High Court that it had proposed to constitute a special court to inquire cases relating to the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details