Granite scam: Two IAS officials booked in TN
Chennai: As part of their ongoing probe into the multi-crore granite scam, Vigilance officials on Saturday booked two IAS officials, both former District Collectors of Madurai, for their alleged role in the scam.
Vigilance and Anti-Corruption officials also conducted raids at 34 places, including in Chennai and Salem, as part of the probe, A Vigilance release here said.
Former District Collectors of Madurai M Mathivanan and C Kamaraj were booked under different sections of IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act, the release said, charging them with "wilfully suppressing facts" regarding the irregularities.
Former Madurai Collector U Sahayam in a report to the government had pegged the alleged losses incurred from illegal granite quarrying to the tune of around Rs 16,000 crore.
Granite magnate P R Palanisamy and scores of government officials have been booked in connection with the alleged scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends