Granite scam: Two IAS officials booked in TN
Chennai: As part of their ongoing probe into the multi-crore granite scam, Vigilance officials on Saturday booked two IAS officials, both former District Collectors of Madurai, for their alleged role in the scam.
Vigilance and Anti-Corruption officials also conducted raids at 34 places, including in Chennai and Salem, as part of the probe, A Vigilance release here said.
Former District Collectors of Madurai M Mathivanan and C Kamaraj were booked under different sections of IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act, the release said, charging them with "wilfully suppressing facts" regarding the irregularities.
Former Madurai Collector U Sahayam in a report to the government had pegged the alleged losses incurred from illegal granite quarrying to the tune of around Rs 16,000 crore.
Granite magnate P R Palanisamy and scores of government officials have been booked in connection with the alleged scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof