Granite scam: Two IAS officials booked in TN
Chennai: As part of their ongoing probe into the multi-crore granite scam, Vigilance officials on Saturday booked two IAS officials, both former District Collectors of Madurai, for their alleged role in the scam.
Vigilance and Anti-Corruption officials also conducted raids at 34 places, including in Chennai and Salem, as part of the probe, A Vigilance release here said.
Former District Collectors of Madurai M Mathivanan and C Kamaraj were booked under different sections of IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act, the release said, charging them with "wilfully suppressing facts" regarding the irregularities.
Former Madurai Collector U Sahayam in a report to the government had pegged the alleged losses incurred from illegal granite quarrying to the tune of around Rs 16,000 crore.
Granite magnate P R Palanisamy and scores of government officials have been booked in connection with the alleged scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves