Gunning down of man `atrocious murder`, says Vaiko
Chennai: MDMK leader Vaiko today described the gunning down of a man by an Inspector near Tirunelveli on Tuesday as an "atrocious murder" and demanded action against the police official.
Vaiko said the deceased Vanumamalai was survived by his 25 year-old wife and two children and demanded that government announce relief to the family, besides giving a job to her.
"The family of the victim Vanumamalai is poor. Police should file a case of murder against Inspector Vijayakumar for gunning down the victim and government should order an enquiry under a sitting High Court judge," he said in a statement.
Vanumamalai (32) brother of a history sheeter, was shot dead by the cop after he and two of his associates allegedly attempted to attack him in a village near Tirunelveli.
Vanamamalai of Maruthal Kurichi had died on the spot after Nanguneri Inspector Vijaykumar opened fire at him with his service weapon, police had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation