HC admits petition against TN minister
Madurai: Madurai Bench of Madras High Court has admitted a petition seeking action against Tamil Nadu Labour Minister S T Chellapandian for alleged irregularities and malpractices in the handling of funds of a cooperative society during 1997-2000 when he headed it.
When the petition came up for hearing, Justice R Sudhakar admitted it and ordered issue of notice to the government.
Petitioner Kanthimathinathan claimed that an audit report of the Tuticorin District Agro-Engineering Service Cooperative Society revealed that there were irregularities and malpractices to the tune of Rs 14.49 lakh in 1998-99.
Though the audit report specifically blamed Chellapandian for the malpractices, no action was taken to recover the money. Even after he had sent petitions to the Joint Registrar and Special Officer of the society in December 2011 no action was taken, he contended.
He prayed for a direction to the government to take action against the Minister and others who abetted in committing the malpractices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest