HC admits plea against AIADMK symbol on MGR memorial
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Thursday admitted a writ petition seeking to remove the ruling AIADMK`s symbol of `two leaves` from the renovated memorial of former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M G Ramachandran subject to its maintainability.
Justice N Paul Vasanthakumar ordered issue of notice to the government and directed them to file counter within eight weeks.
R S Bharathi, DMK Legal Wing Secretary in his petition submitted that the government`s decision to put up a symbol of a political party at a government property at the cost of the state exchequer to canvass and promote itself was nothing but "gross misuse and abuse of power" besides breach of trust and misappropriation of tax payers` money.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had on December 9 inaugurated the renovated memorial, popularly known as the `MGR Samadhi` at the Marina Beach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read