HC admits plea against AIADMK symbol on MGR memorial
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Thursday admitted a writ petition seeking to remove the ruling AIADMK`s symbol of `two leaves` from the renovated memorial of former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M G Ramachandran subject to its maintainability.
Justice N Paul Vasanthakumar ordered issue of notice to the government and directed them to file counter within eight weeks.
R S Bharathi, DMK Legal Wing Secretary in his petition submitted that the government`s decision to put up a symbol of a political party at a government property at the cost of the state exchequer to canvass and promote itself was nothing but "gross misuse and abuse of power" besides breach of trust and misappropriation of tax payers` money.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had on December 9 inaugurated the renovated memorial, popularly known as the `MGR Samadhi` at the Marina Beach.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India