HC admits plea against AIADMK symbol on MGR memorial
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Thursday admitted a writ petition seeking to remove the ruling AIADMK`s symbol of `two leaves` from the renovated memorial of former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M G Ramachandran subject to its maintainability.
Justice N Paul Vasanthakumar ordered issue of notice to the government and directed them to file counter within eight weeks.
R S Bharathi, DMK Legal Wing Secretary in his petition submitted that the government`s decision to put up a symbol of a political party at a government property at the cost of the state exchequer to canvass and promote itself was nothing but "gross misuse and abuse of power" besides breach of trust and misappropriation of tax payers` money.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had on December 9 inaugurated the renovated memorial, popularly known as the `MGR Samadhi` at the Marina Beach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley